First Aid Guide for Illness & Emergencies
Dental or Tooth Injuries
- Rinse mouth out and lean forward to spit out blood.
- Put gauze or a clean cloth over the socket and bite on it firmly to
stop the bleeding.
- Find any broken or knocked-out teeth and bring with you to the
- If a knocked-out tooth is dirty, hold the tooth by the top part
(crown) and gently rinse it in a bowl of lukewarm tap water for 10
seconds or less. (Diagram 18)
- Place the tooth back in its socket and bite on gauze or a cloth to
hold it in place.
- If you cannot put the tooth in the socket, place between the cheek
and gum, or store in a small container with saliva or cold milk.
- Contact your dentist or go to an Emergency Room with dental services as soon as possible.
- For baby teeth, call your dentist or the Emergency Room for advice.